Screw Gun Showdown - Simpson's Quik Drive Screw System
February 2, 2015
February is remodeling month at Nail Gun Depot - and what better way to celebrate remodeling month than by kicking off our FIRST-EVER Screw Gun Showdown. If you work in a renovation or remodeling trade, chances are you've used either a Quik Drive « screw system and/or a Senco DuraSpin « screw gun. Used for drywall installation, deck building, metal roofing, general construction and much more - both screw systems are top-rated in their class - but which one is right for you? You can learn more about Simpson's Quik Drive, and Senco's DuraSpin - right here on the Nail Gun Network.
For part-one in our Screw Gun Showdown series, let's take an in-depth look at Quik Drive's screw fastening systems - featuring some of their top-rated tools. Per Simpson Strong-Tie's website, Quik Drive is designed to perform optimally when used for the following applications: subflooring/sheathing, decks/docks, drywall, fiberglass-backed gypsum sheathing, fiber-cement siding, standing-seam metal roofing, exposed fastener metal roofing, tile roofing, steel framing, steel decking, underlayment, truck beds, crating, truss ply fastening, and ledgers on steel - among others. With Simpson screw fastening tools, the type of application you fasten determines the type of Quik Drive system you require.
Different from Senco's DuraSpin, which we will cover in the second part of this series, Quik Drive screw systems are customizable, composed of various components that are paired to tackle a specific set of applications. A traditional Quik Drive system consists of three main components - a motor, an extension (for applications that require bending or reaching), and an attachment (designed for a specific application). The motor is relatively universal, and is more or less based on user preference - Nail Gun Depot specializes in Makita-powered screw gun motors for Quik Drive. The extension arm is based on the type of application you are screwing into place, but is not necessarily required - for example, you might not use an extension for drywall installation, whereas you would for deck fabrication. The most unique piece to the puzzle, the attachment, determines what you will be fastening. Quik Drive attachments vary depending on the type of fastener an application requires - just think of each Quik Drive kit like pairing wine and cheese.
The Screw Gun Showdown features the following Quik Drive screw systems:
- The Quik Drive PROSDDM25K collated screw system drives 1" to 3" collated strip screws and is excellent for contractors and remodelers who drive flooring, decking, drywall and fiber cement siding screws. The expanded depth range allows for countersink in high density OSB.
- The Quik Drive PRO200G2M25K screw system drives 1-1/4" to 2" collated strip screws, and is excellent for drywall applications into wood or steel.
- The Quik Drive PRO300SM25K wood decking kit drives 1-1/2" to 3" collated deck screws into wood deck surfaces - ideal for use with Deck-Drive DSV wood screws.
- The Quik Drive PROLDHG2M25K drives 1" to 2" collated strip screws for installing cement backerboard.
- The Quik Drive PROPP150G2M25K metal roofing and siding kit drives 7/8" to 1-1/2" collated strip screws, designed specifically for steel decking, panel clips, trim and edge drip, and panel flanges for metal roofing.
- The Quik Drive PROHX516M25K auto-feed collated screw system drives 5/16" hex washer head strip screws from 7/8" to 1" in length, perfect for metal framing and steel decking.
- The Quik Drive PRORFG2M25K is an excellent tool for installing concrete and clay tile roofing, driving 1-1/2" to 2-1/2" collated strip tile roofing screws.
- The Quik Drive PRO250G2M25K is ideal for contractors or remodelers doing floor sheathing, decking and more, driving 1-1/2" to 2-1/2" collated strip screws.
- The Quik Drive PROHX14G2M25K collated screw system drives 1-1/4" to 2" hex head strip screws, and is excellent for metal roofing and siding applications.
Quik Drive also offers a limited-lifetime warranty on all of its QDPRO attachments - providing added peace of mind for contractors who need to get the most out of their tools.
Something else to keep in mind, though not included in the Screw Gun Showdown, Fein recently released a cordless motor that features a built-in Quik Drive adapter - so you can plug in any Quik Drive attachment on the go, no hassle.
Last, but not least, with any eligible Quik Drive system purchase via the Screw Gun Showdown - just use the promo code "SCREWGUN" - you will receive 5% off your purchase, a FREE QDDECKCLIP-RC Decking Nose Clip, and automatic entry to win a Quik Drive PRO200 Drywall Attachment at the promotion's end.
Let the showdown begin!
Home Of The Screw Gun Showdown,
Nail Gun Depot